Saturday, June 25, 2011

dreaming of Decorah with wide open eyes

Just spent some quality time with my friend Peg, who's been fortunate to have moved to "the country"....just outside Eau Claire WI on 7 acres with a view!!
I will get to see her new home in another month..can't wait...even to meet the 3 ft. bull snake that resides under her deck!
We talked about the challenges of pulling up roots to move away and begin making connections in a new place...not easy I'm told...

Nevertheless, I want to try, after I retire, to find my own "country" home...which leads me to dreaming of Decorah IA, not nightdreams...daydreams...I've been there..I don't even remember where I heard of Decorah....but seriously, ideas get into my head and they don't leave...they take root and eventually I act on them... I did visit Decorah last November...stayed at a B&B for 2 nights with my friend Janny, who also lives in the Eau Claire area. We had a lovely time visiting, wandering, laughing, reminiscing.. as old friends do. And I discovered what a truly lovely town Decorah is....there's a lively ARTS scene, Luther College, an organic food co-op, cool coffee shops (YES!), artsy stores, excellent restaurants, the restored Hotel Winnishiek, and a quilt shop :)
The terrain is lovely..bluffs, hilly wooded streets, vistas up the kazoo....
I hope to get Chaz up there just to see it...he's dead set against the idea...



Here are some pics...wish me luck...dreams can become realities....

1 comment:

  1. Do you know any of the music from "South Pacific"? There's a song "Happy Talk" which says "You gotta have if dream. If you don't have a dream, then how you gonna make the dream come true?" I'll sing it to you at the meeting. Ya gotta have dreams!

    ReplyDelete